Saturday, October 10, 2015

Clarification of Cycles

My Dear Son:


With our responsibilities and efforts in school this year, I decided to allow myself some time away from the keyboard, or the day-to-day manufacture of these words. It's taken me awhile, but I've learned from living life that sometimes I have to place boundaries around my expectations;that I cannot go full-fledged in multiple directions and perform them all well. At the same time, I realize that at least five letters from last summer promised “more to come” without delivery.

This was two-fold in purpose. I knew keeping the material short was essential, particularly due to its content. And, very few of us are inspired when we become bored. The shorter letters also gave me some breathing room of my own, allowing me to take this huge project and focus it down to one brick at a time.

Nonetheless I left you hanging onto Peace, Introspection, Blindsided, Predicting, and Cycles, promising at the end of each to deliver more than I did. The others where I promised more, I believe I followed through in the next letter.

Part of my reasoning in not immediately answering the questions posed in these letters was because of the extensive nature of the material itself. How can we, for instance, truly know if peace can be disseminated to the collective through the demonstrations of one peaceful soul?

For clarity's sake I will answer them in order, starting with Cycles.

We finished that letter with two questions: Is this living? What happens here? We culminated with this point after observing briefly how living organisms are a mixture of life and death at any given moment. As you grow older, it seems, you become more keenly and acutely aware of how many cycles affect and have affected your daily routine. Life itself seems to pare down to one simple theme: going in circles.

So, in contemplating the existence of life after death, or how that will demonstrate itself, humans for eons have looked toward common cycles in everyday life. We make comparisons using the embryonic stage, birth, babyhood, adolescence, adulthood, aging, and death, and the recycling of posthumous matter. But this begs to question: does existence outside a body follow the same rules? How can we know? As we observe these physical cycles in up to 8.7 million species and counting begs the question: if we observe similar life-bearing cycles in this many living things, can we infer similarly predictable afterlife cycles? Can this many generations of consciousness possibly be wrong in believing there is consciousness after physical death?

If we have learned anything from hard science, that is, experimental results that can be predictably repeated, it is this: the human perceptual fields―visual, auditory, tactile―are limited. There are realities beyond which we can sense and know, and recent technological advancements can show us just how limited we are. So, with that in mind, I would like to gently suggest that the unknowns about the afterlife experience may very well correspond to our present limitations in perception; that this thing called faith is more about accepting what we probably are missing and therefore misinterpreting, that which we cannot hear or see; and that there are gifted ones among us who can somehow slip beyond those boundaries in human perception, even if only briefly, to remind us that there are realities around us we have not yet begun to know.


No comments: