Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Play

My Dear Son:

Here's another thing: I've been meaning to say this for a long time. I think it's sad, and it occurs to me every time someone or something dies, that we often don't express to each other how very important we are to each other.

In other words, we often run our separate ways doing our adult things and our kid things, and we don't really communicate how we feel.

I want you to understand that, as adults, we don't really plan on being so busy that we ignore our children. I think about all the things I've done while you've been growing up, things that pulled me away from spending an extra few minutes playing a video game with you, or the times I've said, "We'll do that later..."

Now, this is a hard one to explain. It really is something you probably won't understand until you're an adult yourself. As adults, we often forget what it's like to be a kid, or what it's like to want to play. We get very busy doing our adult things, like trying to run our businesses or study for our licenses or cook dinner or whatever.

Of course, that stuff's important. But what I want you to realize is, especially if you feel ignored by us, that's not what we want you to feel. You are always much more important to us than that other stuff. You are always much more valuable to us than that other stuff. If we act like it's the other way around, then shame on us. You have to remember that while we are here on this earth in bodies, we sometimes limit ourselves in the way we think and act. We believe certain things about ourselves, only to find out later that those things were incorrect or limiting.

So we make mistakes, even as adults. And one of those mistakes is believing we don't have enough time to play anymore.

And of course, there's nothing wrong with each of us having different things we enjoy doing, and going our separate ways at times. I just want you to understand that, if I appear to ignore you, it's because at that moment, I'm probably feeling very challenged by the task I have before me. I haven't forgotten about you, nor will I ever forget about you! You are an unforgettable soul. 



No comments: