Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Moccasins

My Dear Son:


Rules or laws about how we treat other people, as you will learn, are necessary in society for maintaining order, and, inevitably, peace. When I say The Golden Rule misses a lot of groundwork in between, I am not saying it is a faulty or insignificant rule. On the contrary, it is most significant of all. The Golden Rule, however, sometimes appears not to provide the answer to the complexity and variety of relationships you will have.


But, as I believe you will see with many apparently simple statements, you'll have to dig deeper for the ultimate meaning. The Golden Rule was intended to widen the circle, to make you and me think in larger terms, far beyond any one circumstance, person, or event. To walk a mile in someone's moccasins is a similar idea, but one that challenges you to join in order to more fully understand.


There are some situations where you may not want to put those moccasins on (for your own self-preservation) but you may choose to understand certain elements or ideas about those moccasins from a distance. I think I have an example you'll understand, but let's save that one for tomorrow. Love always!





No comments: